The most versatile room in a home or a building hands down.
One cannot fathom how intricate and well organized a kitchen should be in order for it to work, and if the kitchen doesn’t work, the whole house cease to be lively.
There is always something special about the place, it the place where produce meets culinary arts to make something delicious and beautiful.
Never mind the ignorant, only the blessed can see a kitchen for what it truly stands for!But then again it surely brings its share of hazards to the house.
So for all the mums out there, and to the gloating dads who thinks washing a spoon is itself a herculean task, we bring you 10 Common Hazards in the kitchen and how to avoid them.
1) Slippery And Wet Floors:
Everybody is familiar with this particular hazard, but then again why are so many accidents happen due this very reason every single day?
The reason is simple, we postpone the task of cleaning the floor to the very last to see ourselves fall and get hurt. Clean the floor from spills, oils and fats as soon as they come to avoid such instances.
2) Unattended Gas Fire:
When you are cooking, distractions keeps coming from all sides. But when a burner is in use, you should not leave the fire unattended.
This is the sole reason to a large percentage of home fires in the country.
3) Knifes: Water, fire and then comes knife.
Cuts and lacerations are the usual song inside of a kitchen. But then again there are chefs who can slide and dice swiftly without a single scratch on their skin.
So technique does determine the outcome, with so many tutorials available online, you can easily perfect your technique to slice and dice like a pro!
Check out these amazing knife blocks on Amazon to keep your knives neat and out of touch (for those with young ones around)
- EXCLUSIVE KITCHEN KNIFE SET: imarku 15 pieces knife set with block includes: chef knife, santoku knife, bread knife, slicing knife, utility knife, paring knife, kitchen scissors, steak knives set of 6, knife sharpening rod and wood knife block. Just the right chef knife set to satisfy all your cooking needs！
- EXCELLENT QUALITY KNIFE SET WITH BLOCK: Each knife blade in this knife block set is made of premium high-carbon German stainless steel with excellent resistance to rust, corrosion and discoloration. Quality-tested by 100 chefs before selling this kitchen knife set, none of the knives have rusted or broken within six months of proper use.
- ULTRA SHARP KNIFE SET: Professional satin processing provides optimum sharpness, and further fine-grinds the edge of the blade to achieve ultra thin slices and precise cutting. It is a professional chef knife set and can meet daily kitchen needs like slicing, dicing, chopping, etc.
- EASY CARE: The bottom ventilation of the knife block is designed to prevent the blade holder from getting damp and keeping the blades dry. Dishwasher safe, but hand washing can better maintain the sharpness and gloss of the knife.
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: We’re dedicated to enhance your cooking experience. We provide our customers LIFETIME of satisfaction of these knife sets. If you have any questions or demands about the knife sets for kitchen with block, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will try our best to help you as well as meet your demands.
- ➤【A Knife Set For All】With precious Wengewood handles, our 18-piece knife set includes a chef knife, bread knife, slicing knife, santoku knife, boning knife, paring knife, utility knife, fruit knife, carving fork, 6*steak knife, knife sharpener, kitchen shears, and a wooden knife block to store it all. "
- ➤【Built to Last Through all Your Kitchen Adventures】Forged from professional high carbon German stainless steel, our kitchen knives are rust resistant & heat tempered for outstanding strength. The triple-riveted construction secures the handle with the blade and ensures the knife doesn’t snap from the middle. Balanced weight distribution and ergonomic handles minimize fatigue and maximize cutting precision for both women and men.
- ➤【Cuts Through Everything Like Butter】The blades of our wooden knives are sharpened to a 16° angle for a chef-like cutting and chopping. Our cooking knives could cut everything easily, so you no longer have to deal with squished tomatoes!
- ➤【Easy Care And Storage】The attractive and functional oak woodblock ensures safe storage of all the kitchen knives and keeps your precious knife collection within easy reach on the countertop. Equipped with non-slip feet, the knife block stays firmly in place. And beautiful craftsmanship to complement your kitchen.
- ➤【UNLIMITED 1-YEAR WARRANTY 】Alltripal knife block set ships from Amazon. We provide One-year Replacement and 24-hour Friendly Customer Service. If you ever have any issue with our premium knives, just simply reach out to our amazing customer support center and we'll do whatever it takes to make it right. Your satisfaction is our goal.
- STYLISH, MODERN & FUNCTIONAL: Give your kitchen the update it needs with this beautifully designed Acacia block Set with Forged White Handles. This set includes your most essential cutlery pieces for chopping, slicing, mincing, and more
- RAZOR-SHARP BLADE EDGES: Each Blade is expertly hand crafted for maximum sharpness and edge retention to ensure precise slicing every time
- SUPERIOR QUALITY: Each forged knife is made from high carbon stainless steel, making the blade stain and corrosion resistant
- ERGONOMIC CONTROL: Triple Riveted designed handles offer a sure grip and absolute stability that ensures comfort and maneuverability
- 15 PIECE SET INCLUDES: 8 inch chef knife, 8 inch slicer, 5 inch Santoku knife, 5. 5 inch serrated Utility knife, 4.5 inch utility knife, 3.5 inch Paring knife, (6) 4.5 inch steak knives, sharpening steel, All purpose shears, Acacia block
4) High Shelves: We mums are not clumsy but we are sure are not ninjas!
Always be careful when you step onto an elevation to reach the high shelves. Always balance yourselves and make sure that the footings are well planted on the ground.
5) Germs and Bacteria: Yes, these uninvited guests can surely give you a bad day.
Cleanliness is something the kitchen yearns for, it’s always a win-win. Germs like salmonella and norovirus can affect your health in a really bad way.
Keep a disinfector handy to end the day clean and tidy.
6) The Power Lines: When you connect many different appliances to the same socket simultaneously, it increases the load on the wires.
This process can escalate to such an extent that the wires heat up and worst case scenario – Fire.
Do not overload circuits and use heavy duty circuitry for your kitchen wiring purposes.
7) Grease and Moisture: Check the underside of the cooktops and in between creases to clean grease and moisture from those hard to get places.
These hotspots becomes the breeding ground for various hazardous diseases, again cleanliness is the key.
8) Improper Food Storage: Have you ever heard of cross contamination? This is a process that happens when you place different kinds of meat adjacent to each other without proper sealing.
This leads to the meat going stale and poisonous in nature.
9) Synthetic Clothes: Synthetic clothes that you wear everyday might be comfortable but they aren’t the best match for kitchen.
This is because in the event of a fire, if the fire gets on to your cloth, the synthetic material won’t burn away.
They melt and sticks to the skin, causing high temperature burn to your dermis. Always prefer to wear cotton as it won’t melt and you can easily get out of it.
10) Heavy lifting: Sprains and muscle strain happen a lot when you try to do heavy lifting in the kitchen. Also,avoid such practices inside the kitchen because it is not at all safe.
Always seek help if you need such a task done inside the kitchen and never couple weight lifting with elevated surfaces like chairs to reach higher into the cupboards.
And there you go! The top 10 health hazards in the kitchen that I’m sure plagues almost all kitchen out there in one way or another. A pristine kitchen shouts of class and finesse. Remember these points in mind while you enter your kitchen next time!