There is no way anyone could go wrong with potatoes. It is that staple food that could be cooked in any way and still be a delicacy.
Whether fried, baked, mashed. You name it! They are a type of edible tubers that are never out of season.
Cheap to grow and so rich in nutrients.
If they arent one of your favourites, trust me, you need to keep up!
Unfortunately, through recent years, they have fallen in popularity due to the interest in consuming low carb foods, and they fall in the latter group.
Potatoes contain essential nutrients that the body needs even when cooked.
The following are some of those benefits:
- The potatos fibre, vitamin C, and potassium and its lack of cholesterol in the blood support heart health.
- Potatoes have the nutrient choline, which is essential and versatile in helping muscle movement, mood, memory, and learning.
- They also contain folate that aids in DNA synthesis and repair, preventing many types of cancer cells from forming due to DNA mutations.
- The fibre in them helps prevent constipation.
- They also promote bone health through the iron, calcium, phosphorous, and magnesium that are in them. It is, however, essential to balance the phosphorous and calcium for proper bone mineralization.
This article will focus on the various recipes you can use to enjoy potatoes in a fun and delicious way.
Potato Croquettes Recipe
This is one of Italys best appetizers, and the recipe below will be for 20 servings.
- 1 ½ mashed riced potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One egg slightly beaten
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup grated Pecorini Romano cheese
- 1st shallow bowl: ¼ cup flour
- 2nd shallow bowl: 2 eggs beaten, 1 tbsp water
- 3rd shallow bowl: ½-¾ cup breadcrumbs
- For stir-frying: 6 tsp olive oil.
- Combine riced potatoes with the beaten egg, chopped parsley, Romano cheese, salt, and pepper. Then divide the mixture into 20 croquettes.
- Prepare the three shallow bowls with flour in the first, then eggwash in another, and breadcrumbs to finish it up.
- Roll the croquettes each n the flour making sure to shake off excess flour.
- Dip each croquette after being floured in the egg wash, then the breadcrumbs.
- Pan-fry the croquettes in batches of 5 in 1 ½ tsp of olive oil, then place them in a baking dish baking them for 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 375 F.
- Serve and enjoy!
Redskins Potato Recipes
- Four medium potatoes with their skins on, scrubbed and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ c grated parmesan
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Toss the potatoes in a large bowl with olive oil, parmesan, paprika, and garlic salt. Then spread the potatoes on a large baking sheet.
- Bake them at a temperature of 425 degrees, stirring them every 10-15 minutes for browning. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste and serve while warm.
Spinach And Garlic Potato Patties
- Four medium-sized potatoes peeled, boiled, and cut into quarters
- ¼ cup olive oil for frying
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp butter
- One egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- One yellow onion diced
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- One bag 8-10 ounces of baby spinach
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Three garlic cloves minced
- Combine the potatoes and milk in a mixing bowl, then mash using a potato masher until smooth and creamy. Put aside.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, then add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring till translucent.
- Next, add the spinach and garlic in the cooked onions seasoning with salt and pepper. Continue cooking for some more minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Then add the spinach mixture to the potatoes, cheese, and lemon juice. After, add the cheese and lemon, egg, and breadcrumbs and stir everything until smooth.
- Shape the mixture into patties. Heat the olive oil in a skillet and fry each patty on both sides until browned. Transfer all of them after cooking to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- You could choose to serve with sour cream, yoghurt, or soy sauce.
Potato Cutlets Recipe
- 1 ½ potato boiled
- 3-4 tbsps oil for frying
- 1 ½ cups coriander, finely chopped
- 1 cup mint fresh, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Kasuri Methi dried leaves
- 1tsp salt
- 1 cup spring onion
- 1 tsp chillies red crushed
- Three chillies green chopped medium-sized
- 1 tsp coriander seeds whole but partially crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds partially crushed
- First, mash the potatoes with a masher or stand mixer, then add all spices one after another ad mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate the potato mixture for 3-4 hours before proceeding to make the cutlets.
- After they refrigerate, beat the egg lightly in a bowl and spread the bread crumbs in another one. Heat your oil in a frying pan to shallow fry the cutlets.
- Make meatball-sized balls of the potato mixture and flatten it5 into a cutlet. Dip it in the egg first, then breadcrumbs. Shallow fry them in the medium-hot pan on both sides till they brown nicely.
- Be sure, fry only one cutlet first to be sure of the salt and then proceed to adjust or continue with what you had made.
Potato Sandwich Recipe
The recipe is a leisurely Indian-style breakfast made with boiled, mashed potatoes, mozzarella cheese, a few spices, then toasted to a delicious sandwich.
It is better enjoyed while hot!
- 1 cup boiled mashed potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 2 tbsp onion
- 1/2tspn red chilli powder
- ¼ cup green chutney
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp chat masala powder
- Six slices of bread
- Add the mashed potatoes, onion, coriander leaves, garam masala, chat masala. Salt in a bowl and mix them well.
- Spread the green chutney and grated cheese on a slice of bread. Then take another slice and spread the potato mixture, then cover it with another slice to which you have applied the chutney and cheese.
- Grill the stuffed slices on both sides to brown well.
- Cut into triangles and enjoy with your favourite dip or ketchup.
BBQ Potato Recipe
- Six large potatoes cut into ½ inch cubes
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- One yellow onion chopped
- Four scallions chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Four bacon strips cooked
- In a large bowl, add the potatoes, onion, olive oil, and garlic salt. Break up the bacon and toss it in the potato mixture. Make sure it is distributed evenly.
- Get four large aluminium foil sheets, then divide the potato mixture amongst it and fold the sides up on both ends to secure the wrapped potatoes.
- Place the four potato parcels on your preheated grill and cover. Let them cook for 8 minutes on each side. Use a pair of tongs to flip them to keep them intact.
- Once the potatoes are fully cooked, which you will know when your fork is tender, open up each parcel and distribute the cheese on top along with the scallions, then cover them again. Let them cook for a minute to melt the cheese.
- Remove the parcels carefully and serve them on the foil or plates as youd like.
Potato Pasta Recipe
- 250g pasta
- Parmesan cheese
- 500g yellow boiled potatoes
- A parmesan rind
- 100g pancetta
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- One medium onion, chopped
- 3-4 tomatoes chopped
- One stalk of celery chopped
- A few sprigs of parsley chopped
- Saute the cured pork in olive oil in a large saucepan until the fat is translucent and the edges begin to brown. Add the celery, onion, and parsley and stir, then season with salt and pepper. Saute until the onion is soft and translucent. Then add the tomato and let it simmer. Add the parmesan rind at this point.
- Add your potato cubes to the pot and turn the whole mixture adding water to moisten it up, then cover. Let the potatoes simmer for about 10 minutes to become tender.
- Boil water in a separate pot and add the pasta and cover the pot entirely. Season with salt and stir. Let the pasta cook over moderate heat, stirring it regularly to prevent it from sticking on the bottom.
- Drain the pasta water in a separate container, add the pasta to the potato mixture and stir regularly. You can add the pasta water to keep things a bit soupy. When they mix well, add a handful of cheese and adjust seasoning.
- Serve them soupy or dry to your liking.
Corn And Potato Recipe
- 2.5 pounds of baby red potatoes, cut in half
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- Six ears of corn
- Add your potatoes and water to a large saucepot. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are soft and tender. Remove them carefully and put them in a bowl aside. Cover with foil to keep them warm but leave the water in a saucepot.
- Slice the corn kernels from the cobs with a sharp knife, then cook them in the potato water for a minute. Combine the potatoes and the cooked corn in a large bowl and toss the butter, herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy while hot!
There are different variations of the recipe depending on if you want the herbs or not, but all in all, they would both be delicious delicacies.
Also Read: Reheating/Frying Frozen French Fries