Today, Jayashree shares a beans stir fry from Indian cuisine, it pairs well with hot steamed rice or flat bread as chapati. Beans is not only low in calories but they are a good source of Vitamin C, dietary fibre, silicon, folate and Vitamin K. It is always good to have a vegetable in the daily menu, as children tend to eat most of the food that is cooked at home.
Beans with Masala Stir Fry
- 1/4 kilogram beans
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon sambar powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilly powder
- a small piece jaggery
- coriander for garnishing
- Trim the edges of the beans and break them into 1 inch long. Cut them into half again. Rinse them in water and keep them aside.
- Cut the onion finely.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds, as they crackle, put asafoetida and turmeric powder, put the beans into it. Let cook for five minutes.
- Add onion to it. Put salt, cover with a lid and allow to cook.
- Once, the beans are tender, put chilly powder, sambar powder, salt and jaggery to it.
- Let cook for three minutes.
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander.
- Beans with masala stir fry is ready to serve.
Take a tip:
Fresh grated coconut may be added to it.
About the author: Jayashree is a food blogger and freelance content writer from India. She love cooking and trying new recipes. Her blog is www.evergreendishes.com She also write poems. She has four e-books on Amazon. They are: South Indian Breakfast, 30 tasty Dal recipes, Breadbasket and Soulful Melodies.