If you are looking for a new kitchen tool to spice things up while having tons of fun using it, try considering a whipping siphon.
A whipping siphon is a metal container used in kitchens to pressurize liquids.
They were designed to aerate creams that are quite high in fat. Due to the name, most people think it is only for making whipped cream.
It is also used for making fresh soda, infusing fruit, topping a dish with foam, or speeding up marinating as we will see in-depth in this article.
You have probably seen it in coffee shops but whipping spoons do a lot more than that.
Whipping siphons are also different in type: insulated thermos type, standard and heat-resistant.
They also come in different sizes depending on what you want to use the siphon for.
So how do they work?
When the liquid is pressurized and forced out of the nozzle, the gas escapes from the liquid aerating the liquid which creates a foam.
The foam usually varies from a quickly dissolving froth to a heavy one which you can achieve by adding thickeners and stabilizers.
Whipping siphons make work easier, especially creating foods that usually take so much time to make like kimchi and flavorful bitters for cocktails.
Easy science of how the siphon works is you fill the canister with the solid food or liquid then pressurize and screw on the lid.
Use small chargers filled with nitrous oxide or carbon dioxide to create the pressure needed.
When pressing the lever, gas escapes which creates the fluffy whipped texture that you are going for.
There are also soda siphons as mentioned earlier but are quite different from whipping siphons since they are only for liquids but whipping siphons can be used for solid foods because of their larger opening.
The soda siphon is also only used with carbon dioxide which dissolves best in liquids but whipping siphons can use both carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide chargers.
Best Whipping Siphons
- CREATE TRUE CULINARY MASTERPIECES. Discover the joy of homemade whipping cream with OCTANDRA WHIP CREAM DISPENSER! Whips 1 pint of liquid cream into over 2 quarts of delicious whip cream!
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION. Delivering the best with 304/18-8 food grade stainless steel whipped cream canister and head, anti-slip silicone grip, precise cream capacity scale, reinforced threads, silicone gasket and storage cap!
- 3 DECORATING TIPS AND 4 INJECTOR NOZZLES. Real stainless steel - safe, non-toxic and no cross threading! Make your homemade desserts and savory dishes look as beautiful as they taste! A nozzle cleaning brush is also included!
- BROAD COMPATIBILITY. Our whipping siphon works with all brands, standard 8-gram N2O whipped cream chargers (NOT INCLUDED)!
- WE ARE HERE FOR YOU. Not completely satisfied? Simply return the whipped cream maker within 30 days of the purchase and enjoy 100% cash back. No questions! No small letters!
- PROFESSIONAL WHIP CREAM DISPENSER FOR EVERYDAY USE: Whether you are preparing a special dessert or the perfect coffee drink, Professional Whipped Cream Dispenser will make kitchen prep a breeze. 3 different decorating tips let you perfect your creation.
- QUALITY MATERIAL FOR LONG-LASTING DURABILITY AND SAFTY FIRST CONSTRUCTION: Unlike our competitors, both the head and the body of our whipper is made from durable aluminum, which makes our product much safer and easier to use. No more hand fatigue!
- EASY TO CARE FOR AND CLEAN: Taking care of your whipped cream dispenser is simple! Just use warm water to clean the head, body, and decorating tips.
- THE PERFECT GIFT AND TOOL FOR EVERYONE: Professional chefs, bakers, and home cooks alike will appreciate the quality of our dispenser. Easy-to-use and sturdy are just two of the reasons why it makes the perfect gift for that chef or baker in your life!
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Our customers are our number one priority, which is why we make sure to deliver the best product possible. If you have any questions about our product, you can contact our friendly customer service team and we will be happy to help you!
Since now we know that whipping siphons are not just for whipped cream, investing in a higher-end one will go a long way considering all you could do with it.
- iSi Stainless Steel Gourmet Whip Plus is the undisputed choice for many chefs especially due to the several versions and sizes of the whipping siphon. It is known for the high-quality stainless steel and comes with different attachments. While purchasing it, you can also get the injector attachments for filling things like chestnut puffs. It can also be heated in a water bath for warm dishes.
- iSi Cream Profli Whip Plus
- iSi N20 Cream Chargers are the chargers you need for your whipping siphon. Buy in bulk for cheaper discounts and well because they last forever.
- iSi Soda Seltzer Chargers are the carbon dioxide chargers that can be used in soda siphons and the whipping siphon for carbonating beverages.
Whipping Siphon Recipes
Bitters are just infusions of herbs and spices steeped in liquid to extract flavor.
Orange bitter recipe
- 5 g 0.2 0z dried gentian root
- 350 ml 40% abv neutral vodka
- 2.5 g quassia bark
- 25g fresh orange peel with no pith
- 2g caraway seeds
- 25g dried orange peel
- 2.5g green cardamom seeds
- 25g dried lemon peel
- 3 whole cloves
- 25g dried grapefruit peel
- Put all the dry ingredients except the fresh orange peel in a spice grinder and grind until they are the size of peppercorns. Mix the ground dry ingredients with the vodka and the fresh orange peel in the whooping siphon.
- Screw on the 1 iSi cream charger and shake away. Then put the whipper in simmering water at a pour-over max of 165 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes.
- Cool the iSi whipper in ice water then vent by pressing the leer down. Remove the head and pour the infused liquid through the funnel and sieve.
- The peels will have absorbed almost all liquid so, put them in a press sack and squeeze the bitters out yielding almost 185 ml.
Who doesnt like mousse as a dessert? Literally no one. It is an ideal dessert that you can make at the comfort of your home with the whipping siphon.
- 250g forest berries
- 250 ml heavy cream
- 30 ml Grand Marnier
- 0.5g lemons
- 70g powdered sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- First puree the berries and mix with sugar and the Grand Marnier.
- Add the core of the vanilla pod then refine with the lemon juice. Pass the mixture through your whipping siphon and add the heavy cream.
- Pour everything into the whipper, screw your charger and shake for 10 minutes.
- Garnish the berry mousse with other fruits and enjoy.
Remember when we said that you would have fun using the whipping siphon, this is what it means. Instead of using a leavening agent to make your cake batter lighter, using this tool will add air while you pressurize it creating that light-as-air batter.
Another advantage is that you can keep the batter in the siphon and refrigerate to have cake when you want to.
- 3 eggs
- 11/4 cups water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 box Betty Crocker Supermoist Yellow Cake mix
- Check the cake mix box and make your cake batter. Pour the batter in the siphon and charge with your nitrous oxide chargers. Then make sure to make cuts on the bottom of your paper cups to allow steam to escape.
- Spray the paper cups with cooking spray then siphon the batter in them until quarter way. Cook a cup at a time in the microwave for like a minute on high power.
- Invert on a plate when they cook and let rest for a few seconds then tap to release the cake.
Did you know you can make your own Starbucks coffee in the comfort of our kitchen? And using the whipping siphon, you can cut down on brewing time from days to a few minutes!
- 72 grams coffee
- 12 oz water
- Grind the coffee on your coarse grind till fine. Pour it in a whip cream canister then add your water. Stir until saturated. Screw on the lid making sure the gasket is in place. Charge with a cream canister. Let the canister rest when done and while it does, set up a pour over cone with a filter. Place your cup with ice below.
- Disarm the canister carefully by squeezing the handle gently. Unscrew the lid and strain your coffee through the filter.
Also Read: How To Cook With Alcohol