This may come as a surprise to some, but did you know you don’t necessarily need a grill to make those wonderful grilled meals you love!
Oh! Yes indeed, there is another way…
If you are in need of a quick bite but have no time to fire up a grill, then consider switching to a more modern grilled pan for your meals.
So what exactly is a Grill pan?
A grill pan is a frying pan that has a series of parallel ridges used for cooking food on a stovetop, or with a metal grid in it. It is designed with superior heating technology to ensure your food is cooked evenly while providing guaranteed “restaurant” results.
The term ‘grill pan’ is sometimes also used to refer to a Griddle which is essentially a broad flat cooking surface that is heated to cook the food on it.
How to cook with a Grill Pan
Best Grill Pans and Griddles for 2017
In this article, we have reviewed some of the grill pans that have featured prominently in many households for years now, and to make things easier for you, we have chosen the 10 best Grill Pans and Griddles in the market.
|Rachel Ray Grill pan||Grill Pan||Aluminium||9.5 / 10.0|
|Vremi Grill Pan||Grill Pan||Cast Iron||8.5 / 10.0|
|Lodge LSRG3 Griddle||Griddle||Cast Iron||9.0 / 10.0|
|Cuisinart Grill Pan||Grill Pan||Cast Iron||9.0 / 10.0|
|Lodge L8SGP3 Grill Pan||Grill Pan||Cast Iron||8.5 / 10.0|
|Calphalon Grill Pan||Grill Pan||Hard Anodized Aluminium||9.5 / 10.0|
|Weber 6435 Grill||Grill||Stainless Steel||9.0 / 10.0|
|EurKitchen Griddle||Griddle||Cast Iron||8.5 / 10.0|
|TeChef Stovetop Grill Pan||Grill Pan||Teflon Coated||9.7 / 10.0|
|Utopia Kitchen Griddle||Griddle||Cast Iron||8.3 / 10.0|
So without further ado, let’s take a look at the top grill pans.
1. Rachael Ray Grill Pan – rustic modern-day grill pan crafted from aluminum
The Rachael Ray Grill Pan is a rustic modern-day square grill pan durably crafted from hard-anodized aluminum to offer quick, even heating for the preparation of a delicious meal. It cooks foods such as tiger prawn kebabs, sea foods, fish, seasoned Portobello, chicken and cooked steaks. The grill features raised ridges intended to give your favorite foods the typical marks of grilled foods. It also comes with durable dual riveted silicon-over-stainless steel handles.
• The grill pan heats rapidly and evenly, eliminating hot spots that have the potential of burning foods
• The fun rubberize handle besides being oven safe up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit facilitates secure grip
• It contains durable nonstick interiors that make cleanup a breeze and lets food slide off easily.
• The pan drains away fats from your foods for a healthier cooking
• It comes with a commendable lifetime limited warranty
• Although not a deal breaker, the raised parts of its interiors surface do not go in the same direction across the pan.
• The outside surface also tends to collect stains from foods gradually.
2. Vremi Grill Pans – Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron 11 inch Square Pan
The Vremi Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Grill Pan is a square grilling pan with a silicone handle which measures 11 by 11 by 2 inches long. The pan works on fire, gas and stove tops. It can be used for both indoor and outdoor grilling and can be used to cook vegetables and meat. This Cast iron pan has a silicone handle cover which offers a firm grip as well as prevents the user from getting burnt when handling it. This impressive pan will make your cooking much more interesting, not to forget that the pan’s small size will allow your food to heat evenly on any source of heat.
- The nonstick stove top grilling pan for oven ensures the food does not stick on it when cooking making it easy to clean.
- It is resistant to scratch and ensures uniform heat distribution.
- Cast iron material is easy to maintain with little expense.
- Apart from grilling meat and vegetables, the pan cannot be used to cook other types of food or be used for other cooking methods like boiling.
- Its small size limits it to cooking smaller quantities of food.
3. Lodge LSRG3 Grill/Griddle – Single-Burner Reversible Cast Iron Grill/Griddle, 10.5-inch
Cast Iron reversible grill/griddle is a useful kitchen appliance that is flat on one side and ribbed on the other. The ribbed side can be used to cook foods such as steak, grilled sandwiches, and fillets, while the flat one suit foodstuffs like bacon, pancakes, and eggs. It comes with two easy-grip handles on either side that make lifting, flipping or hanging the appliance a lot easier. It is certainly a must have if you are looking for multipurpose grill.
• The grill/griddle provides outstanding heat retention and distribution implying it is ideal for baking, searing, grilling or frying.
• It works well both on a grill and on a stovetop. Consequently, it is perfect for outdoor and indoor grilling. It can also be used it on induction cooktops.
• The Grill is compact, measures 10.5 inches square, and as such requires minimal storage space.
• Besides being oven safe, the appliance is delivered already foundry seasoned, and hence ready to use.
• When wearing mitts, the two side handles can’t provide a safe grip. However, under normal circumstances, the handles suffice.
• Weighing in at 8 pounds, it is somewhat too heavy for a ‘hobo stove’.
4. Cuisinart 630-30 Grill Pan – Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12 inch Round Grill pan
Cuisinart nonstick round grill pan is cookware that features hard-anodized exterior and titanium reinforced nonstick interior for fast food release, easy clean-up, and healthy cooking. The grill pan is ideal for foods such as steaks, burgers, chicken, mushroom, fish, and cutlers. When using it, the raised ridges drain fat away from food resulting in healthier meals. It features a handy grip riveted stainless steel handle that guarantees a secure grip.
• The open design of the grill pan maximizes the cooking surface making it possible to rearrange foods while cooking
• The dense, non-porous, wear resistant and smooth finish simplifies the cleaning process.
• The hard-anodized material heats up quickly, eliminates hot spots and distributes heat evenly through the pan.
• The rim is also tapered and as such delivers drip-free pouring.
• Some burners and electric stoves are 10-inches, and users with such appliances may have to move it slightly off the burner.
• While it performs excellently, it is advisable to leave it to cool down sufficiently before cleaning to extend its life.
5. Lodge L8SGP3 Grill Pan – Square Cast Iron Grill Pans
The Lodge L8SGP3 Cast Iron Square Grill Pan will grill anything and everything in your kitchen. It can be used on most heating sources including, camp fires and the oven, making it perfect for both the outdoors and indoors. The ribbed bottom will ensure that food does not sit on fatty grease while giving it crusty striped marks. That’s not all, this pan comes pre-seasoned to prevent it from rusting.
- The pan is durable and long lasting.
- It can be used on all cooking surfaces including oven.
- It is not 100% non-stick.
- The pan is relatively heavier than other pans.
- Proper cleaning and maintenance is required for cast iron.
6. Calphalon Grill Pan – Stylish and Modern day pan
Calphalon Contemporary Grill Pan is a combination of stylish and modern day pan that is just the perfect aesthetic for your kitchen. It brings a new twist in the game and chefs, you’ve got to love this! It is used to cook or grill a variety of foods from steak to meat or vegetables. It is made of hard adonized aluminium with a non-stick ,grilled cooking surface and a stay-cool stainless steel handle. What is more is that it can be used on a burner, in an oven and it fits perfectly in a dish washer.
- First, it is non-stick and that saves you the headache of having to deal with scrubbing the pan, soap, a scoring pad and hot water will do.
- The pan also has a wide grilled surface area that allows for even cooking and at the same time drains fat off food as it cooks.
- The ripped grill lines leaves food with impressive grill marks that is excellent for presentation.
- The ridges are not as defined as other types of grill pans.
7. Weber Style 6435 Grade Grill Pan – Stainless steel Grill pan
Weber Style 6435 Professional-Grade Grill pan is a tool for cooking pan fries on the grill. It is used to prepare small or extremely delicate foods such as delicate fish, vegetables, and at a times, drupe fruits. These are food stuffs that can not be prepared under normal catering conditions. Their quality may be hampered.
The pan is made of wide carrying handles and the slits that allow juices to flow out where they can be collected. They are designed with partitions of 1/8 inch. I will also like you to know that, this vessel is made of 430-grade stainless steel. This feature makes the pan to be long lasting and retain heat for long time.
- Easy to wash with the use of soda ash.
- It is long lasting.
- Does not fit in the sink while cleaning.
- Develops soot over time that may be difficult to remove.
8. EurKitchen Griddle and Grill Pan – Two-Sided Cast Iron Pizza, Griddle and Grill Pan w/ Reinforced Handles
The EurKitchen Griddle and Grill Pan will allow you to tackle any kind of cooking task with all the easy that you can muster. You will manage to do this on any cooking surface right away, which is just the beginning of the fun today. You can cook pizzas, meats, and other things here. The EurKitchen Griddle and Grill Pan is truly durable.
- The EurKitchen Griddle and Grill Pan with comes pre-seasoned
- The EurKitchen Griddle and Grill Pan also has a high tolerance to heat.
- The EurKitchen Griddle and Grill Pan also comes with many reinforced handles.
- The grill gets really hot and you might need to use some metal spatulas to cook.
9. TeChef – Stovetop Grill Pan with Teflon Select Non-Stick Coating
The design on this one amazed me, and its easy adaptability on any burner, even on a camp burner it works amazing with very little heat and cooks evenly. It has a perfect Teflon coating with no PFOA, which makes it totally non-toxic, and does not wear off easily with heat and time. Oil and fat always bothered me when it comes grilling pork belly, or beef but the unique swirl design helped me to get rid of it with its embossed deep holes and the pan is slightly tilted towards it, and that helps the oil to drain out and cook the meat to a perfect roast without burning it. Though not ideal, you can easily clean it with paper towels.
I highly recommend to you this product, if you are looking for a pan to cook your bacons quick, healthy, and with a less mess. TeChef-stovetop grill pan has definitely makes cooking fun and easy.
- You can cook healthy food that’s oil free.
- It requires need little heat and works on every burner.
- It generally keeps the place less messy and you can clean it very easily.
- Well you have to have the place ventilated well as it might cause a smoky environment and this is a healthy substitute to bbq, you might not have that taste that bbq offers, but its way healthier.
10. Utopia Kitchen Grill Griddle – Reversible Cast Iron Grill Griddle, 17 x 10 inch
This cast iron griddle is a reversible griddle made from cast iron ensuring even and fast heating. It’s surface measures a good 17 x 10 inches and is in a slope form. This allows the grease to flow from the food. It has planned side grips arms for convenience and safety.
The reversible cast iron griddle can be used to cook vegetables, paninis, and steaks among other foods. When it comes to washing, warm water with soap and a scoring pad should be used retaining its original look.
- Reversible barbecue/frying pan is made of solid metal for quick and not withstanding warming
- Its unrivaled warmth maintenance will keep your mouth watering food warm for quite a while
- Its incline coordinates oil far from the food.
- Its 17 by 10-inch measure gives adequate cooking space and can be utilized as a part of the stove or over an open air fire.
- When the cover is opened, it loses most warmth.
- You shouldn’t dry it directly after use.
Now you have all the facts. Here is a quick review of what to look out for before getting that Grill pan.
- Make sure the pan has a great handle to make it easier to handle
- Ensure the pan is either ribbed or flat depending on the intended use. Reversible pans means that one surface is ribbed while the other is flat and it can be reversed to pick the surface to cook on.
- Try to go for Stainless steel and Non stick pans make are better to cook with and easier to clean.
- Pay attention to the shapes and sizes of pans so that you end up with the right size for you.
- Consider the type of heat source that your pan should use to avoid damage, as some heat sources may be extreme and damaging to some materials.
Rachael Ray Grill Pan – This modern grill pan is a great choice as it easy to handle and gives some great grill marks to your food. Not only that, the aluminium material means its a great conductor of heat and heats up fast and evenly something a gourmet cook will tell you is absolutely fantastic. Finally, the Rachel Ray brand is known for the sleek and quality of their cookware and the quality of their grill pans are no exception.
Finally – To wrap up this Review
Considerably, there are a tonne of both great and junk grill pans out there, and finding the perfect grill pan or griddle is not easy. That’s when lists like these come into play. This top 10 list of grill pans and griddles kept in mind things such as the needs of a customer and how much they are willing to spend on a grill pan.
We hope the list helps you pick the best grill pan according to your budget. Keep in mind, there’s no such thing as a “perfect” grill pan, which is why each pan is built for the needs of different consumers. Within the list, there are pans and griddles for all consumer budgets. In case you think we missed a good grill pan/ griddle, please let us know.